These days, people love to watch other people dance. Competitive dance shows like So You Think You Can Dance and Dancing With the Stars are dominating the world of reality television. What you may not realize, however, is that if you get off the couch and dance yourself, it’s a great way to keep your body and mind healthy! Our dance classes in Toronto can help you lose weight, stay flexible, reduce stress, make friends, and more. Today we’re going to explore a few of these healthy benefits from taking dance classes.
- Dance helps boost memory! Dance not only instills grace, but it also helps you age gracefully. Science reveals that aerobic exercise can reverse volume loss in the hippocampus, the part of the brain that controls memory.
- Improve flexibility with dance! Those plies and arabesques that ballet dancers practice aren’t just for aesthetics — they also increase flexibility and reduce stiffness. You can skip the ballet slippers and still reap the benefits of ballet by practicing some simple stretches at home.
- Reduce stress with dance, too! If you’re feeling tense or stressed out, you might want to grab a partner, turn up the music, and tango!
- Fight off depression! Dancing really does lift your spirits, according to a study in that tested the effects of dancing on people with depression. Patients who participated in an upbeat group dance showed the fewest depression symptoms and the most vitality.
- Help your heart. Dance is a great activity for those at risk for cardiovascular disease.